Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rumble Box / Flat Spot Boxcar modification - 07-17-13

Blog Entry by Bob

Everyone knows there is a big difference between a locomotive that has a sound to one that has the default electric whirr noise.  Watching the boxcars bang-bang-bang their way on the tracks near my house I wondered, 'what can I do to make my boxcars sound better?'

Finding metal math-kits at my local Walmart for a couple of bucks, I discarded all the inners.  Visiting yard-sales that only seem to sell broken, rusted tools I picked up a bunch of drill bits.  Filling the math-kit with the drill bits I screwed it to the running board.
This makes the boxcar sound great especially if you hit a bump or there is a gap in your rail joints.  But I wanted to take it one step further...

On all my railcars I have replaced the default plastic wheels with metal ones leaving me with a box of useless plastic wheels... or so I thought.  I used my trusty dremel tool with a grinder wheel and created a flat spot on one side of the axle.  Replaced only the second axle on the boxcar with the flat-spot axle
 
I've attached pictures an a video of the boxcars running on the track. Please take my idea and use it, it makes all the hours, alone schemeing in my workshop seem publically acceptable.


 photo trainblog_071413_a_zps30285480.jpg

 photo trainblog_071413_b_zps256c3366.jpg

 photo trainblog_071413_c_zps0838ac4f.jpg

 photo trainblog_071413_d_zps5dc04c0a.jpg




2 comments: